Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Tonsils & Twisters!

It's been  a week since Conner had surgery and I'm just now getting around to posting about it. One, we didn't have power for about 4 days.... Two, I've had a heavy heart the past week and I just didn't have it in me to post about our crazy day last Wednesday when so many people have lost homes and loved ones. I am so thankful that my family and friends are okay and that we didn't have any damage here in Albertville. I pray that God wraps His arms around the families that have lost so much and He gives them strength and courage to get through these hard times. I can not imagine what they must be going through. It truly breaks my heart.

Last Wednesday, the 27th, Joey and I got up at 5:30 and kicked it in high gear. Conner's surgery was scheduled for 9:30 and we had to be at the hospital at 8:00 that morning. The air in my car stopped working several weeks ago and we had yet to have it fixed, so Joey's mom and dad were coming to pick us up at 6:30. I had just finished drying my hair when I heard the tornado sirens... If you know me, you know that I am TERRIFIED of storms. I have been since I was a little girl. Joey's parent's got to the house shortly after the sirens started going off (BTW..our power was off too) and Joey was ready to go. Me, no.. I wanted to stay and wait because we didn't know what part of the county was actually under the warning. Joey won and we loaded up in the car and about that time my mom called and told us to hold off. We finally left at 7:00 and when we got to the top of the mountain in Guntersville I was so happy we decided to wait. It was horrible.. power lines down, tress down, buildings with damage. I was a nervous wreck!!!!

We made it to Huntsville right after 8:00 and because of the weather they were behind on surgery. The sweet nurse let us change rooms to a room with a TV so Conner would have some entertainment while waiting. It didn't really work.... but we made it through the wait and they took Conner back about 10:15. The surgery did not take long at all and the doctor came out and said Conner was doing great. They removed Conner's tonsils, adenoids, and put tubes in.

About 10:45 they called me back and let me go into recovery to be with Conner when he woke up. Joey had to stay back and wait with our parents. As soon as I got into recovery with Conner there was a tornado warning for Huntsville. UGH!! We ended up staying in recovery for about 2 hours. The nurse that was with us was super sweet...she even used her cell phone to text my mom and keep everyone updated. By the time we got to leave recovery Conner was able to be released. He did such a great job! He never really cried and he slept the whole way home!!

We got back to Albertville, hit the BK drive-thru and dropped Joey's parents off at home. We stopped to get Conner's meds filled and then........ ANOTHER WARNING! I think my heart was pounding out of my chest the entire day. We made it home and Conner slept on the couch most of the afternoon. Our power went back off... I have no idea what time... we listened to Joey's police radio the rest of the afternoon. Jenn came over...bless her heart...she was planning on cooking dinner for us, but because of the weather it didn't quite work out. We hooked up the laptop and listened to WHNT. The last tornado warning of the night I was about ready to vomit.... I think I really would have, but Conner did instead so I didn't really have time. It was quite an eventful day!

Here is a couple of pictures of Conner before he went back for surgery. I forgot to mention that he rode around in a wagon and when he actually went back for surgery he got to ride in a jeep. He was really excited about that! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment