Sunday, April 3, 2011

Remembering Rab...

Last July my family was hit hard with the loss of my grandfather. My grandfather, or Rabbit as most people knew him, was one of the greatest men I have even known. He was a great Christian man who loved God and his family and friends more than anything. He had such a kind heart and would give you the shirt off his back. He loved sports and played and officiated more baseball, softball, & football games than I could even begin to count. Rab never met a stranger and saw the good in everyone. He had a nickname for everyone and was the go to guy if you ever needed help. He battled cancer off an on for years and won every time. I guess I always thought he was invincible, nothing would ever happen to him.

About a year ago Rab's health started deteriorating and around the end of June we found out that yet again, cancer had returned. What we didn't know is that unlike all the times before, this time he wouldn't win the battle. In two short weeks he took a turn for the worse and on July 3rd, 2010 he finally went home to be with the Lord. As hard as it is I know he is in a much better place. Like he always said "whether I go or stay, I'm a winner either way". I would give anything to hear him say "Hey George, did you work hard this day", but I know he is looking down on us and that one day I will see him again. I'm so glad to have known him and more importantly honored to have been his granddaughter!

So, for the main reason for this post..... April 2nd, 2011 the Crossville High School baseball field was named in honor of Rabbit. I can't think of a better way to remember a man who loved baseball and the Town of Crossville.

No comments:

Post a Comment